After quite a long and infuriating wait, IOTA is finally supported by a hardware wallet, the Ledger Nano S and the Ledger Blue. Finally the IOTA holders can now store their IOTA safely onto their hardware wallets, without a fear of their funds getting stolen on exchanges and on their software wallets.
Here’s a guide on how to store your IOTA using the Ledger Nano S.
What you’re going to need:
- A Ledger device (Nano S)
- A USB cable
- a computer
- an installed Trinity wallet (0.4.0)
- Ledger Live installed (version 1.2.1 or newer)
Adding the IOTA app on your Ledger device
- Open up Ledger Live, and make sure it’s software version is up to date.
- Head over to the Manager section on the left side bar, and search on “IOTA”, then click on install.
Not enough storage? READ: Ledger Nano S: “Not Enough Storage Left”?
Installing the Trinity wallet
- Head over to trinity.iota.org/#download, select and download the installer for what operating system your computer is running. For this guide, we will be choosing Windows.
- Go through the installation steps, until you reach this step:
- Plugin your Ledger device and enter your PIN.
- This screen will then be displayed. Click on “Proceed with Ledger setup“
- Since this is your first time on using your Ledger device on the Trinity wallet, just click on “Continue“.
NOTE: If you’re stuck on the “Open Ledger IOTA app” page, make sure your Ledger device’s version is up-to-date.
- Select your account name. You can name it anything you want, then click on continue.
- Select a password. This password will be used to access your wallet.
- We’re almost done. Click on “Open your wallet” and wait for the seed to load.
- and we’re done! Click on the “Receive” button to view your wallet’s address, so you can finally withdraw your funds from exchanges.